2023 Impact Report
We are pleased to have released our 2023 Impact Report. The report shares details of Conscious Investment Management’s investment activities and portfolio impact performance for the 2022/23 year.
In addition to sharing highlights from the portfolio, the report sets out our framework for impact measurement and provides case studies on our investment themes – outlining the challenge and outcome of each investment alongside its impact measurement score. The report also includes interviews with our impact partners, stories about people supported at our assets, and information on the impact that Conscious Investment Management is having at a corporate level.
Highlights from the report
- Approximately A$330 million of impact investments made to date
- 10 investments alongside 12 Impact Partners, each mapping to UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Two new and unique investments:
- A carbon farming investment, focused on carbon sequestration through native forest regeneration, while empowering First Nations people to reclaim ownership of their Country; and
- An investment that targets youth housing, with the goal of eliminating stigma and addressing the barriers to accessing housing that young people often face during their transition to independence
- Since inception, CIM’s investor capital has funded:
- 264 new social and affordable homes
- 72 Specialist Disability Accommodation apartments
- 63 distributed rooftop solar assets (renewable energy equivalent to planting ~515,500 trees)
- Through social impact bond arrangements, programs which have supported over 245 vulnerable children and their families through challenging times in the education and out-of-home care systems
“We’re really proud of the scale of the impact we’ve had so far, but we know that numbers are simply outputs that only tell part of the story. This year’s Impact Report not only focuses on the outputs, but drills down to the next level to focus on outcomes – the deeper and less observable ways in which our investments are impacting people’s lives and the systems in which they operate. It’s the assessment of those outcomes, particularly for our social housing portfolio, that’s brought to bear in this year’s report.”
Director, Conscious Investment Management